On Saturday, March 28, 2020, the first ever Bald Eagle Valley Trail Fest will take place on the section of the Bald Eagle Valley Trail that has been developed in Castanea Township.
The main focus of the event will be a 5k fun run/walk on the Bald Eagle Valley Trail. It will be chip-timed with awards. However, there are several other components of the event that make it unique, including a baking competition, native plant seed dispersal along the trail, and more!
The event, spearheaded by CleanScapes, has been organized to celebrate 20 years of the nonprofit’s service to both Clinton and Lycoming Counties and to provide another fun outdoor community activity for the region.
“CleanScapes seeks to empower residents to restore natural areas and floodplains from man-made debris,” said Elisabeth Lynch, CleanScapes Project Director. “Eighteen of the 127 cleanup events held by CleanScapes over the past 20 years have taken place on what is today the Bald Eagle Valley Trail system. We’re planning to celebrate the loss of over 1,800 tires and 25 tons of trash from the Bald Eagle Valley Trail by planning this Trail Fest, as opposed to a trail cleanup! Ruts to trail, we truly are lucky, lucky to be one of the leading groups that saw its awesome potential so very long ago.”
Pre-registrations for both the 5k walk/run and the baking competition must be submitted by March 25, 2020. Registrations will be accepted the day of the event for the 5k, but not the baking competition.
WHY ‘TRAIL FEST’?
The Bald Eagle Valley Trail Fest will include a 5k walk/run. However, the celebration will also include a few unique components!
- 5k walk/run participants will be able to help spread native plant seeds, provided upon registration, in designated areas along the trail. This will build upon past efforts to develop this recreational trail and make it even more enjoyable for users.
- There will be a Carrot Cake Contest for adults and a Carrot Cupcake Contest for youth. This is open to anyone — including individuals not participating in the 5k.
- Other nonprofit organizations are also invited to set up tables. The Clinton Central Model Railroad Club will open up the Castanea Train Station for special hours so attendees can check out the intricate model train display inside.
Download the event flyers here!
This 5k is family friendly! This portion of the Bald Eagle Valley Trail is flat, making it a great trail for families, trail running beginners, or to warm up for more seasoned runners!
Participants must be at least 10 years old.
Those who pre-register online by March 25 will receive discounted rates, special event swag and a rigatoni meal catered by Clinton County Community Connections. The pre-registration cost is $30 for participants who are 18 or older and $20 for those between 10-17. Or, register the morning of the event for an additional $5 per category.
Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Adult Male (18+) – First, Second, Third
- Adult Female (18+) – First, Second, Third
- Youth Male (10-17) – First, Second, Third
- Youth Female (10-17) – First, Second, Third
WANT TO RUN OR WALK IN THE 5k?
BAKING COMPETITION DETAILS
Do you make carrot cake? Consider participating in this baking competition!
“The baking competition is being called the 2020 Brenda & Don Lysle Carrot Cake and Cupcake Competition to honor one of our steadfast benefactors,” Lynch said. “Don is one of the 100’s of volunteers that helped CleanScapes clear out the trailside trash and tires. On behalf of their generosity of spirit and financial support, we are excited to announce this new event in their honor. After the cash awards are presented, all the cakes will be auctioned and those proceeds will be reinvested into the Phase 1 Bald Eagle Valley Trail butterfly garden plantings.”
Adult participants will be tasked with baking carrot cake. Youth participants will be making carrot cupcakes.
All entries (including children) must be pre-registered by 11:59 pm EST, March 25, 2020, as there is no onsite registration. There will be no refunds of entry or registration fees.
- Early Registration Discount Amateur to Professional Adult Early Registration through 2/29/2020 $15 – one double layer cake batter divided into 2 separate layers – 1 9” layer cake for judging and 1 9” identical layer cake for event auction.
- General Registration Amateur to Professional Adult ends 3/25/2020 $20 – one double layer cake batter divided into 2 separate layers – 1 9” layer cake for judging and 1 9” identical layer cake for event auction.
- Youth (under 11) and Teen (11-17) Registration ends 3/25/2020 FREE for up to 1 entry of 6 standard sized cupcakes. To encourage creativity, each cupcake will share the same batter recipe yet may be decorated uniquely. Homemade icing only (no candies). Food coloring permitted.
WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BAKING COMPETITION?
The Bald Eagle Valley Trail Fest is supported by the Clinton County Community Foundation, Don & Brenda Lysle, as well as a Clinton County Tourism/Recreation Grant from the Clinton County Commissioners and Clinton County Tourist Promotion Agency.